Friday, June 5, 2009

A Mexican Slut (Don't worry, it's a shot).

So, some friends and I were at a happy hour earlier this week at a local dive called Doc's here in Denver. This is not a fancy place or really the kind of place you would expect to find new things so it figured to be a nice relaxed happy hour with a couple of pitchers of Coors Light (on special) and maybe a standard shot or two of Jager with some good friends.

Imagine my surprise when I asked our waitress if they had any shot specials. She apparently misunderstood me and thought I was asking for "special shots" so she busted out with the Mexican Slut. According to her, a few customers had come into the bar a week or so ago and told her about a shot called a Mexican Slut that they claim is very popular in Chicago where they had just moved from.

Intrigued, I leaned in and asked "So, what's in it and how much will it cost me?" She responded back with the following: "A Mexican Slut is a shot of pickle juice followed immediately by a shot of Tequila.

Unsure if this sounded even remotely palatable, I turned to my friend Sommer and raised my eyebrow. Sommer loves pickles, so she quickly responds that we should give it a try. No one else at the table would agree so I ordered two and waited uneasily...

So, sure enough, it arrives as a two piece shot, a shot glass of pickle juice and a shot glass of well tequila garnished with a lemon. A minute or so of curious study and trepidation followed it's arrival. Finally, a "Cheers!", the clanking of shot glasses and down goes the pickle juice followed by the tequila followed in turn by the lemon...

Wow. It was actually really good. I like tequila but can have a lot of problems with well. The pickle juice really helped take the edge off of a very unsmooth well tequila and the lemon was a perfect compliment to the overall flavor profile of the shot. Ultimately, for the price ($3) this was a decent shot with some incredible flavors and was surprisingly smooth and easy to drink. I ended up getting two...

In summary, give it a try the next time you're out. It may not be your thing, but it may end up joining your shot repertoire.

No comments: